Logo - Home Page Specializing in complete accounting and tax services


Nursing Home Care Expenses: Deductible or Not?

Your parents are getting older with each passing day. Soon enough, they will be unable to take care of themselves. If you have a parent who will be entering a nursing home, there are things to consider, including but not limited to:

Deductibility of Long-Term Medical Care Services - The costs of qualified long-term care, including nursing home care, are deductible as medical expenses to the extent that they, along with other medical expenses, exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Qualified long-term care services are necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, curing, treating, mitigating, and rehabilitative services, as are maintenance or personal care services required by a chronically ill individual provided under a plan of care presented by a licensed health care practitioner.

Deductibility of Premiums Paid for Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance - Premiums paid during the tax year for a qualified long-term care insurance contract are deductible as medical expenses (subject to an annual premium deduction limitation based on age, as explained below) to the extent that they, along with other medical expenses, exceed 7.5% of the year’s adjusted gross income. A qualified long-term care insurance contract is one that provides coverage only for qualified long-term care services, doesn't pay costs that are covered by Medicare, is guaranteed renewable, and doesn't provide for a cash surrender value. A policy isn't disqualified merely because it pays benefits on a per diem or other periodic basis without regard to the expenses incurred during the specific payment period. Qualified long-term care premiums are includible as medical expenses up to the following dollar amounts: for individuals between 60 and 70 years old, the 2006 limit on deductible long-term care insurance premiums is $2,830; for those who are over 70, $3,530.

Deductibility of Amounts Paid to the Nursing Home - Amounts paid to a nursing home are fully deductible as a medical expense if the principal reason that a person stays at the nursing home is for medical, as opposed to custodial, etc., care. If a person isn't in the nursing home principally to receive medical care, then only the portion of the fee that is allocable to actual medical care qualifies as a deductible medical expense. But if the individual is chronically ill, all of the individual's qualified long-term care services, including maintenance or personal care services, are deductible.

Including Medical Expenses You Pay for Your Parent as Part of Your Deductible Medical Expenses - If your parent qualifies as your dependent under the rules discussed below, you can include any medical expenses incurred for your parent, along with your own, when determining your medical deduction. If your parent doesn't qualify as your dependent only because of the gross income or joint return test ((b) and (c), below), you can still include these medical costs with your own.

Claiming a Parent Confined to a Nursing Home as a Dependent - You may be able to claim your parent as a dependent, thus qualifying for an exemption, even though your parent is confined to a nursing home. To qualify: (a) you must provide more than 50% of your parent's support costs, (b) your parent must not have gross income in excess of the exemption amount ($3,300 in 2006), (c) your parent must not file a joint return for the year, and (d) your parent must be a U.S. citizen or a resident of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico. Since your parent is related to you, your parent can qualify as your dependent even though your parent doesn't live with you, provided the support and other tests mentioned above are met. Amounts you pay for qualified long-term care services required by your parent, the eligible long-term care insurance premiums discussed above, as well as amounts you pay to the nursing home for your parent's medical care, are included in the total support you provide. If the support test ((a) above) can only be met by a group (you and your brothers and sisters, for example, combining to support your parent), a multiple support form can be filed to grant one of you the exemption, subject to certain conditions.

Qualification for Head-of-Household Filing Status - If you aren't married and are entitled to claim a dependency exemption for your parent, you may qualify for the head-of-household filing status, which is more favorable than the single filing status. You may be eligible to file as head-of-household even if the parent for whom you claim an exemption doesn't live with you. Generally, in order to qualify for head-of-household status, you must have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a home for yourself and a qualifying relative for more than half the year. In the case of a parent, however, you may be eligible to file as head-of-household if you pay more than half the cost of maintaining a home that was the principal home for your parent for the entire year. Thus, if your parent is confined to a nursing home, you are considered to be maintaining a principal home for your parent if you pay more than half the cost of keeping your parent in the nursing home.

Qualification of Gain on the Sale of Your Parent's Home for $250,000 Exclusion - If your parent sells his or her home, up to $250,000 of the gain from the sale may be tax-free. In most cases, the seller, in order to qualify for this $250,000 exclusion, must have: (a) owned the home for at least two of the five years before the sale, and (b) used the home as his or her principal residence for at least two of the five years before the sale. However, there is an exception to the two-of-the-five-years use test under (b) if the seller becomes physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself at any time during the five-year period.

Your parent can qualify for this exception to the use test if, during the five-year period before the sale, your parent: (1) became physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself, and (2) your parent owned and lived in the home as his or her principal residence for a total of at least one year. Under this exception, your parent is treated as using the home as his or her principal residence during any time during the five-year period in which he or she owns the home and resides in any facility (including a nursing home) licensed by a state or political subdivision to care for an individual in your parent's condition.

Exclusion for Payments Under Life Insurance Contracts - If your parent is terminally or chronically ill and is insured under a life insurance contract, he or she may be able to receive tax-free payments (accelerated death benefits or so-called “viatical” payments) while living. Any lifetime payments received under a life insurance contract on the life of a person who is either terminally or chronically ill are excluded from gross income. A similar exclusion applies to the sale or assignment of a life insurance contract to a person who regularly buys or takes assignments of such contracts and meets other qualifying standards. These lifetime payments can be used to help pay the costs of your parent's nursing home.

Reverse Mortgage as an Alternative to a Nursing Home - It is often desirable for an elderly person to remain in his or her own home with proper in-home care rather than to enter a nursing home. A reverse mortgage loan may make this a feasible alternative to a nursing home. Many states permit a reverse mortgage loan, which is designed to permit elderly persons with limited income to remain in their homes by borrowing against the value of their homes.

If you wish to discuss your situation or a specific issue, please call our office for a consultation.

Contact us

11075 S State St Ste 10
Sandy, UT 84070

Monday - Thursday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Voice (801) 676-0119
Fax (801) 679-3275
Email email us